Tuesday 2 August 2011

Bravery versus fear

I've been thinking about bravery and fear a bit recently. From my viewpoint on myself I don't think I'm a very brave person. Other people's opinion seems to differ greatly from my own. I see the effort that I have to put in to get over myself and do things. Other people simply see what is done at the end of the effort.
It's made me consider the idea that bravery is not an absence of fear but simply a repeated overcoming of it.
I'm guessing that if fear was completely absent from my (or anyone's - for that matter) life, then I might be likely to do all manner of completely irrational, illogical or completely foolish things (My friends might be reading this, laughing and mumbling that I do them anyway). Fear perhaps is one of the foundations that common sense is based on. Fear keeps us from doing stupid things that would end life.
But if fear is not overcome at times it can keep us from doing things that end the fun in life. It can hold us back from achieving and experiencing so much.

So I'm guessing I shall battle with my personal fears and insecurities for the rest of my life. But as long as I never let them hold me back from who and what I should be then they could be the very indicators of the value of the things I do and achieve with my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment